There are some topics that could make or break the mood on a first date, so should be avoided at all cost. And, while everyone may not think the same, here are some particularly tricky topics. Read more to discover what those topics are!
Avoid These 5 Topics At All Cost
Spring brings with it the promise of romance, but it also means that the weather is warm and the sun is out. It is not a time for sitting at home on the couch and doing nothing because that is not how a date should be. While it is important to spend time getting to know the other person, that does not mean that you should spend the entire date talking about your favorite topics. You should also make sure to consider what topics to avoid in order to make sure that the date stays lively and fun.
Here are some of the main topics to avoid on a date:
- Your money. Money is a topic that most people are afraid to discuss on a first date. It is a sensitive subject, mainly because we all want to be treated fairly, financially, and emotionally independently. Regardless of what is covered, the topic of money can prove to be problematic. If you are uncomfortable talking about it, you risk appearing interested in nothing more than someone’s bank account. However, many people like to talk about their money, and it can be a good topic to address on a date… just maybe not the first date. When people are comfortable discussing their finances, a new level of trust is established.
- Politics. Is the topic about your politics going to come up during your first date? It may be easy to avoid the topic if the person you are dating is a political moderate or a liberal. But there are also cases where a person you have decided to date is a person who tends to have a conservative or more extreme liberal point of view on many of the issues in our society – and you have a few options as to how you deal with such a person. They don’t have to be a big deal, but they can be if you want to go out with the person again and again.
- Past relationships. This may come as a shock to those who think that talking about your exes on a date is a great icebreaker for the two of you. If you’re one of those people, you may be surprised to find out that the majority of people will actually be listening to you and not feeling too great about doing so. Why? At a certain point, you are forcing your date to spend their time with you thinking about both your ex and their ex, and that is bound to become uncomfortable.
- Your sexual experience. Don’t ever talk about how many dates you have had, your favorite positions, or the number of sexual encounters you have had during your date. First off, your date will not be interested in what you are talking about. Secondly, you don’t fully know this your date yet, so it is pretty inappropriate. Topics such as this are very personal and private type of topic, which you should never in a million years talk about during dates, especially first dates.
- Your work drama. When you are on a date with someone, you should not bring up the subject of work drama. Whether it’s from a former partner, a co-worker, or your boss, it’s always a hot-button topic. It’s best not to discuss it at all and instead focus on finding a way to work through the issues and move forward by yourself.
There you have it, our top 5 topics that you should avoid discussing on a date. As well as these, other topics such as religion, eating disorders, or crime on a first date may make you seem shy, or it could come off as disrespectful.
In fact, there are many things that you should not do on a date. If you have been invited on a date, you are there to get to know the person. Part of being a good date involves being a good listener and avoiding discussing things that are potentially controversial so that you can have a good time and get the most out of your date.